Monday, April 11, 2011

Daycare?????

First let me say that this post is not to bash daycare at all. Ok, I have visited a few daycares lately and I am just now learning that the babies from 6 weeks to sometimes 18 months are in the same room. So if my babies will be 6 months when they go into daycare and they have a nap schedule how are they going to sleep at daycare? All of the daycares do not put the infants on a schedule. So basically they sleep when they can. In a swing, in their crib, where ever they fall asleep. I ask how do these babies sleep in the bright lights with all the noise when they are used to sleeping in a dark quiet room. Everyone has the same answer. " They eventually adjust." Well 6 week old babies are way different from 9 month old babies. Do babies that go to daycare when they are young never get on a schedule until they are older? Is my schedule and hard work going to go to crap? Am I thinking too much into it and it is way easier than I think? I see the older babies have a schedule and the lights go out at a certain time during nap time. What about the little ones?? So this is what I stress about every day now.

1 comment:

  1. So I had the hardest time with this same stuff - I mean I was crying ALL the time over it. From what I saw, in the baby rooms (when the babies have their own assigned crib), they nap when they need to. I would tell our school that Trent needed to nap at XX and eat at XX. And they were pretty good about following it - as best as they could. He didn't start daycare until 9 months old, and it did take him time to adjust, but he did adjust. At 1, he moved to the 12-18 month room. They nap at the same time, on mats, and only once a day. Trent was still taking 2 naps/day at home, so I worried about this. Guess what? He adjusted. He still took 2 naps at home and took 1 at school. Some days (this is still true) he might take a really short nap and then go to bed a little earlier. I think he probably sleeps more on the weekends than kids who stay home b/c he typically sleeps an hour and a half at daycare and usually 2 1/2 to 3 hours at home on Saturday/Sunday. Is it perfect? No. Are you thinking about it too much? No, because you are a mom, and these are your children!! Is it really hard on the babies. No! I promise, they will adjust. And faster than you think they will. It is easier for a 6 week old, but I am so thankful I didn't have to put Trent in daycare at 6 weeks and will take whatever adjustment time was necessary!

    ReplyDelete